Riel House was built in 1880-81. The land on which the house stands (Lot 51) had been given by Bishop Tache to Julie Riel on the death of her husband in 1864.
Louis Riel Jr. himself never actually resided in this house. He visited only briefly in the summer of 1883, but it was here that Riel's body lay in state for two days in December of 1885 following his execution for his involvement in the North-West Rebellion. It was also in this house that his young wife, Marguerite, died in May of 1886.
Riel House is open from mid May through Labour Day, it is located at 330 River Road.
St. Boniface Museum
Located at the entrance to the museum are the mill stones of Louis Riel Sr. The museum is housed in the oldest building in Manitoba, and is also the largest building constructed of oak logs in North America. Originally built for the Grey Nuns, this structure has served as a convent, school, hospital and a senior citizens home.
The museum has on display, among other things, a Metis hunters camp. There is also a section which is dedicated to Louis Riel Jr.
The museum is located at 494 av. Tache.