The stone gate which stands today is the last remnant of Upper Fort Garry. The portion of the wooden wall which has been constructed here is a replica of the wall built to surround the expanded fort in 1853-54. The North Gate was not a public entrance to the fort, but a private gateway to the Governors House and it's private gardens.
From its inception in 1834, Upper Fort Garry performed many roles. The new establishment soon became the administrative centre for the Hudson's Bay Company in the Red River District and a depot of "country provisions" for the northern districts of the Red River Settlement.
The North Gate of the original fort is located on Main St. just south of Broadway Ave.